Norm’s Cheese Straws
This recipe is from Norm Phenix, owner and chef of 204 Main Bistro in Sharon Springs, NY. The wonderful 204 Main Bistro hosted an editor event for us in summer 2016, and Norm’s cheese straws, which he created using our Raw Milk One Year Cheddar were a hit! We begged Norm for the recipe, and he complied. If you’re ever in Sharon Springs, visit 204 Main Bistro for dinner and stay at super stylish b&b The Nash (by the same owners). Follow them on Facebook.
Quick puff pastry
3/4 cup grated 100% Grass-Fed Raw Milk One Year Cheddar
2 egg yolks
Freshly ground pepper
Maldon sea salt
- Roll out chilled puff pastry to a rectangle approximately 1/8 inch thick with its shorter side about 8 inches in length.
- Using a knife or pizza wheel, square off edges so they are neat and clean. Press into ball, roll flat, cover in plastic and place in freezer.
- Beat egg yolks and brush over surface of dough. Distribute grated cheese evenly over the dough and press lightly so that the cheese adheres.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a knife or pizza wheel, cut the rectangle into 1/2 inch wide strips, 8 inches long.
- Transfer to baking tray lined with parchment paper, cheese side up.
- Simultaneously twist each strip from top and bottom in opposite directions so that each cut forms a cork screw.
Bake for 20-25 minutes in a 400 degree oven